Taken in 1966, a level crossing over Wharf Lane and the railway line, as straight as an arrow, down to Anglesea Sidings/Charrington’s depot/ Quattro Rail Yard. You can even see one of the large storage tanks in the distance.
An OS map showing the true extent of the track complex of Anglesea Sidings
On the approch to Whalf Lane crossing
Zoomed in map of the North Easten side of Anglesea Sidings
Zoomed in map of the South westen part of the Siding network. Now the depot for Quattro Rail Ltd.
Theses small lines were from the coal collieries down to Anglesey Sidings when the line joined the LNWR line from Wychnor to Bescot – nowadays more commonly known as the Lichfield to Walsall line. From there the coal could transported to just about anywhere in the country, although a lot of it was used in the Black Country.
The colliery involved in this railway was the Cannock Chase Colliery Company, which ultimately had 10 pits in the area, although they weren’t all in operation at the same time. In the very early years of No.1 and 2 collieries, the canal was mainly used, but then McClean completed the rail system. Since McClean owned both the coal and rail companies, the canal was hardly used between 1857 and 1861, but then McClean gave up his lease on the railway company and canal sales increased to about one third of the company’s output.
The end of the Colliery line at Anglesey Sidings. Cannock Chase loco No.6, a Sharp Stewart 0-6-0ST 2643/1876. This picture, taken 21/7/1936 also shows Hammerwich Church in the background and the signal box on the Lichfield to Walsall line.
A coal train on its way to Anglesea Sidings in 1959
Content from http://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ http://oakparkrunner.wordpress.com/chasewater-railway/