The architect for the South Staffordshire Railway was Mr Edward Adams of London and the station building built in 1849 was a modest creation in an Elizabethan style, with tall gables and chimneys.
Lichfield City was the first station built along the South Staffordshire line. The station was sited at the position of the present goods shed and offices on Station Road. Opposite the entrance was a flight of stone steps (these can still be seen near the present Fire Station), and a footpath leading via Levetts field and Bakers Lane to the town.
Lichfield City Station in 1849 - Source: Wikipedia, Scan from Mr Lomax's Lichfield by Howard Clayton Published by T.G. Lomax 1849
Lichfield CIty in 1876, anumber of people complete with horse, pose for a photograph in the centre of the old station.Source: Lichfield Library
A new service to Birmingham that began in 1884, when a branch to Sutton opened, connecting with an earlier LNWR line. This original station was demolished in 1882 when the present one was built to accommodate these additional services.
1877 map showing the location of the first Lichfield City Station 1849 - 1882
The City Station
The proposed new station for Lichfield - September 22 1882
The forthcoming sale of Lord Lichfield's property
The Station Road - Feburary 2nd 1883
"Proposal of L. & N.N.R. to stop up the Station Road" The proposal of the company was to stop the present carriage runs on the Wittington side of the station and to substitute a footpath for communication with the other part of the town. Alderman Birch said we had been told that the council had been very negilent about the bridge in St. John Street. The company might have put a very ugly structure there, but he heard that they did not propose to do that.
The map below shows the location of the 1883 City Station
1923 Ordnance Survey Map - Lichfield Library
The Enlargement of the City Staion - March 9th 1883
From our avertising columns it will be soon that the L. & N.W.R Co are inviting tendors for this work. The tendors having to be sent in by the morning of March 14th 1883.
The present day City Station
The present City Station featuring an island platform (950 ft in length) was built when the London & North Western Railway line from Birmingham to Sutton was extended to Lichfield in 1884.
The footpath was re-routed in 1925 but the stone steps remained, as did the direction sign on a building in Bakers Lane " To the South Staffordshire Railway Station". Both survived until the area was demolished and reconstructed in the early 1960's.
In 1969 alterations to the bridge spanning St. John St necessitated the reduction of the platform by 150ft.
Passenger trains northwards via Trent Valley station to Burton ceased in 1965, along with trains to Walsall, so Lichfield City became the northern terminus of the line from Birmingham. This later became part of the Cross-City Line. In 1988, the line was extended back to Trent Valley. Later to fall under the auspices of the LMS, Lichfield City has retained considerable character.
In June 1990 the station was in the news after an off-duty soldier was shot and killed, and two others were wounded when two IRA gunmen opened fire. A plaque commemorating the incident is situated in the station.
Lichfield City Station Platform in 1988
Lichfield City Station before electification 1990. You can make out the double tracking both sides of the island platform. This was later changed to single track either side of the platform when the Cross City line was created.