The South Staffordshire Line

Past / Present / Future
southstaffsrail@hotmail.co.uk

 

 

The South Staffordshire Line was opened on the 9th April 1849 but the station named Lichfield Trent Valley Junction was not opened until August 1849. Lichfield Trent Valley Junction was built south of Burton Road close to Streethay just past the present signal box. From it a spur line descended to the other station north of the crossing point to allow passengers to transfer to the LNWR main line below. The SSR was leased to the LNWR in February 1861, and was absorbed by that company on 15 July 1867.

Track layout courtesy of Network Rail

On 3 July 1871, both of these stations were closed by the LNWR, which replaced them with a single station; Lichfield Trent Valley was built in its present location with high and low-level platforms adjoining each other. The Low Level platforms, serving the Rugby-Stafford line, were situated approximately 400 m (440 yd) south of the original TVR station. The High Level platforms closed on 18 January 1965 with the withdrawal of passenger services between Lichfield City and Burton. On 28 November 1988, the service between Birmingham and Lichfield City was extended, and the High Level platforms at Lichfield Trent Valley were reopened as a terminus.

 

The photo above shows the location of the under cover stairs conecting the Lower level to the higher level (From Burton platform) of the South Staffordshire Line. Spectators and enthusiasts gathered together at Lichfield Trent Valley Lower Level in March 1981. They are there to witness the ceremony for a class 86 diesel locomotive - 86 207 as the "City of Lichfield" Photo: Lichfield Library

 

Lichfield T.V. Jct Signal Box/ Burton Old Road Crossing.  Image: Unknown source

 

  DMU Unit calls in at Lichfield Trent Valley Higher Level, on route to longbridge 11th March 1990. Source:Railscot/ Copyright: Ian Dinmore

 

 

 Class 8 48209 passiveley waits for 43410 to clear its path northwards at Lichfield T,V High level - well before the A38 bypass was built. Source Lichfield Library